Directions0/0 steps made
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, bourbon, coffee, chili powder, salt and smoked paprika. Stir well, and taste to adjust seasonings if you’d like it even spicier.
- Pat the roast dry and place in a large roasting pan fitted with parchment. Coat the roast in the rub and place uncovered in the refrigerator overnight (more on meat seasoning and dry rubs here).
- One hour before cooking, remove the roast from the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Pat the roast dry and place fat-side up in a large pan fitted with a cooking rack.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees.
- Bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until the roast registers 130 degrees for medium rare. Remove from the oven and tent with foil.
- Let the roast rest for 20 minutes.
- Carve – here’s how.
About the Author
Launie Kettler is a food writer and photographer who lives in a suburb of Burlington, VT. She cooks big food in a small kitchen, and her husband and cats are tolerant of the fact that she plays the same Wilco and Son Volt albums over and over while pontificating about the beauty of cumin. Launie is the co-author of The Everything Mediterranean Slow Cooker Cookbook and her recipes have been featured in Where Women Cook, Fresh Magazine, and on Salon. You can follow her adventures on Instagram @teenytinykitchenvt and on her blog at TeenyTinyKitchen.com.