Directions0/0 steps made
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken and onion in a large, resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh and 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Pour the oil over the chicken and onion.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Alternate chicken and onion on metal skewers. Discard marinade.
- Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until chicken is charred and registers 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Brush lemon with remaining olive oil and salt. Grill for 2 minutes.
- To make the talatouri sauce, combine 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, ½ cup grated English cucumber, drained well, 1½ tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 grated garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons grated shallots, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Serve chicken skewers with grilled lemon and talatouri sauce.
About the Author
Launie Kettler is a food writer and photographer who lives in a suburb of Burlington, VT. She cooks big food in a small kitchen, and her husband and cats are tolerant of the fact that she plays the same Wilco and Son Volt albums over and over while pontificating about the beauty of cumin. Launie is the co-author of The Everything Mediterranean Slow Cooker Cookbook and her recipes have been featured in Where Women Cook, Fresh Magazine, and on Salon. You can follow her adventures on Instagram @teenytinykitchenvt and on her blog at TeenyTinyKitchen.com.