Directions0/0 steps made
- Bring 7 cups of the milk, rice, sugar, butter, lemon peel, and cinnamon to a light boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir occasionally for 50 to 60 minutes, or until rice is cooked through. (If the mixture is getting too thick, add remaining milk ¼ cup at a time to loosen it back up to a pudding like consistency.)
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and add a cup of the rice pudding into the eggs to temper them and keep them from curdling. Stir well to combine.
- Pour egg mixture and vanilla into the rice pudding, and stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Top with pistachios, and garnish with lemon peel and cinnamon if desired.
About the Author
Launie Kettler is a food writer and photographer who lives in a suburb of Burlington, VT. She cooks big food in a small kitchen, and her husband and cats are tolerant of the fact that she plays the same Wilco and Son Volt albums over and over while pontificating about the beauty of cumin. Launie is the co-author of The Everything Mediterranean Slow Cooker Cookbook and her recipes have been featured in Where Women Cook, Fresh Magazine, and on Salon. You can follow her adventures on Instagram @teenytinykitchenvt and on her blog at TeenyTinyKitchen.com.