Directions0/0 steps made
- For the Hollandaise, place t ½ cup unsalted butter in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until it’s hot and foamed up.
- Place the egg yolks in the bottom of a blender with 1 ½ tablespoons, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and process on high for 20 seconds so it’s light and airy.
- Open the plastic lid on top of the blender and, with the machine still running slowly, drizzle the butter in as a thin stream. Omit the milk solids at the bottom of the pan.
- If the hollandaise seems too thick, add a teaspoon of hot water and stir well.
- Season to taste and set aside.
- Divide toasted English muffins between two plates. Top with ham.
- Place the asparagus, water, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper in a large microwaveable bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Top the ham with the asparagus, and drizzle hollandaise sauce over the open-faced sandwiches. To round out the plate, serve the sandwiches with mesclun salad greens.
About the Author
Launie Kettler is a food writer and photographer who lives in a suburb of Burlington, VT. She cooks big food in a small kitchen, and her husband and cats are tolerant of the fact that she plays the same Wilco and Son Volt albums over and over while pontificating about the beauty of cumin. Launie is the co-author of The Everything Mediterranean Slow Cooker Cookbook and her recipes have been featured in Where Women Cook, Fresh Magazine, and on Salon. You can follow her adventures on Instagram @teenytinykitchenvt and on her blog at TeenyTinyKitchen.com.